In collaboration with the Chief Executive Officer and Chief Medical Officer, the Dental Director is responsible for administering, maintaining, expanding and clinically practicing in a program of primary preventive dental care in accordance with the goals of Special Health Resources (SHR). The Dental Director supervises the dental staff and represents the staff to center leadership and provides counsel to executive leadership. The Dental Director also performs clinical and direct care responsibilities as agreed upon. The Dental Director directly supervises Dentists, Dental Hygienists, and Dental Assistants.
- Designs, develops and implements appropriate Dental Department policies protocols and procedures which are compliant with most current accepted professional standards and FQHC requirements.
- Oversees the quality of dental care provided to meet the patient’s and centers’ needs. Accountable for ensuring that the SHR dental program meets all local, state, and FQHC quality and safety requirements.
- Responsible for Dental personnel as well as Departmental full compliance with all applicable federal, state, local, FQHC, and center rules, regulations, and protocols
- Supervises, counsels, and disciplines all Dental Department professional providers and staff in conjunction with the Chief Medical Officer.
- Performs clinical supervision of dental staff, including providing feedback on annual performance evaluations.
- Provides supervision of continuing professional education, in-service training and orientation of new dental staff.
- Facilitates dental staff meetings.
- Reviews dental contracts for services provided to or by SHR
- Advises on schedules of fees (and related discounts for services to patients, as
appropriate) to be charged for professional services rendered by SHR dental providers.
- Participates, in conjunction with management, in the overall budget planning and monitoring process; reviews the formulation and evaluation of project goals and budgets.
- Participates in recruitment/retention activities for the dental program.
- Advises on purchase of dental equipment.
- Assists in promoting a dental staff environment in which the dental providers retain independent judgment and responsibility in the practice of dentistry, subject to peer review.
- Assists staff with treatment modalities pertinent to SHR’s patient populations.
- Reviews input from dental staff on their ideas and concerns with the executive leadership
- Approves student affiliation agreements and student rotations: responsible for overall performance of dental students in the health center.
- Demonstrates an understanding of SHR’s mission in performing all aspects of the position.
- Demonstrates commitment to, and understanding of SHR’s Service Excellence Standards, by modeling service excellence in all internal and external relationships, addressing service excellence deficits in staff, and in performance of all duties and responsibilities of this position.
- Performs other related and/or necessary tasks to achieve organizational and programmatic goals and objectives as requested.
- Examines individuals requesting care, diagnose their dental / oral conditions, prescribes and carries out, or directs others in carrying out, appropriate dental / oral treatment, or refers individuals for specialty consultation or treatment in conformance with approved clinical protocols and guidelines.
- Provides general dental treatment for patients including oral disease diagnosis and treatment, pediatric dentistry, prosthodontics, operative dentistry, oral surgery and endodontic
- This role will start as a 0.8 clinical FTE position with 0.2 FTE allocated for administrative responsibilities and will be assessed continuously.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to provide leadership and clinical guidance.
- Insurability for professional liability.
- Understanding of and commitment to non-for-profit services.
- Demonstrated comfort working with diverse cultures, backgrounds lifestyles and experiences.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with executive leadership, Board of Directors, and staff