In collaboration with the Chief Executive Officer and Chief Medical Officer, the Behavioral Health Director leads the development, implementation, management, and daily operations Special Health Resources’ (SHR) integrated primary care behavioral health program. This position advocates for integrated care and works collaboratively with key staff in clinical and administrative areas to promote integrated care best practices. Director directly supervises Behavioral Health (BH) and psychiatry providers.
- Designs, develops and implements appropriate BH Department policies protocols and procedures which are compliant with most current accepted professional standards and FQHC requirements.
- Maintains knowledge and compliance with BH and psychiatry program regulations.
- Responsible for Behavioral Health personnel as well as departmental full compliance with all applicable federal, state, local, FQHC, and center rules, regulations, and protocols
- Responsibilities include interviewing and ensuring appropriate training of behavioral health providers; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints; and resolving issue
- Works collaboratively with the Chief Medical Officer and other clinical and operational leadership to ensure effective integration of BH services into primary care.
- Performs clinical supervision of behavioral health, including providing feedback on annual performance evaluations.
- Provides supervision of continuing professional education and collaborates on developing in-service programs regarding social work and therapeutic approaches and concepts.
- Facilitates behavioral health departmental meetings.
- Reviews behavioral health contracts for services provided to or by SHR
- Advises on schedules of fees (and related discounts for services to patients, as
appropriate) to be charged for professional services rendered by SHR behavioral health providers.
- Participates, in conjunction with management, in the overall budget planning and monitoring process; reviews the formulation and evaluation of project goals and budgets.
- Participates in recruitment/retention activities for the behavioral health program.
- Advises on purchase of any behavioral health supplies, equipment, or office areas.
- Assists in promoting a behavioral health staff environment in which the behavioral health providers retain independent judgment and responsibility in the practice of behavioral health subject to peer review.
- Assists staff with treatment modalities pertinent to SHR’s patient populations.
- Reviews input from behavioral health staff on their ideas and concerns with the executive leadership
- Approves student affiliation agreements and student rotations: responsible for overall performance of behavioral health students in the health center.
- Demonstrates an understanding of SHR’s mission in performing all aspects of the position.
- Demonstrates commitment to, and understanding of SHR’s Service Excellence Standards, by modeling service excellence in all internal and external relationships, addressing service excellence deficits in staff, and in performance of all duties and responsibilities of this position.
- Performs other related and/or necessary tasks to achieve organizational and programmatic goals and objectives as requested.
- The role will start as a 0.8 clinical FTE position with 0.2 FTE allocated for administrative responsibilities and will be assessed continuously.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to provide leadership and clinical guidance.
- Insurability for professional liability.
- Understanding of and commitment to non-for-profit services.
- Demonstrated comfort working with diverse cultures, backgrounds lifestyles and experiences.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with executive leadership, Board of Directors, and staff